All about Square Dancing
Learn the Square Dancing Basics
About Modern Square Dance
- Many learned square dance in school. At that time about 25 calls were used, often repeated frequently.
- Now there are 64 calls in the mainstream level and many more as you progress above that.
- The caller will mix calls so that you don't know the next move until it is given.
- You don't need a partner. Many calls are transitioning to centres and ends rather than man and women.
- Square dance is based on figures – not foot steps.
- Challenges both the body and brain.
- Many mental and physical benefits to having fun, working together and moving around!
- An evening of square dance equals walking 3-5 miles and burns about 400 calories. (Source: Mayo Clinic)
- Square dance is easy on the joints with no heavy steps.
- No special equipment needed – just comfortable shoes. No poofy dresses required.
- Very inexpensive
- It is preferable to take some lessons but our club tries to blend new dancers in with others quickly.
- You learn to dance by dancing. It is more satisfying to do a full dance rather than just a lesson.
- Each call is a small segment of a larger figure so learning is quicker and easier.